Re: implementing asynchronous notifications

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: David Gagnon <dgagnon(at)siunik(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: implementing asynchronous notifications
Date: 2005-04-20 23:15:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

David Gagnon wrote:

> I just read this thread. Wich seems really interesting. Is there an
> example on how to use Async Notifies? I look at it a couple of months
> ago and found it not sufficient for my needs. I need to implement a
> notification mechanism to clear data from caches in my application on
> data update.
>
> Is this change allow me to do that .. ? That will be so nice :-)
>
> If yes it's that possible to get a small example on how to use it.

Basically, you can now call PGConnection.getNotifications() and get
results without having to submit a dummy query first.

You will still need an application-level loop that periodically calls
it, though. Also, it's not guaranteed to give you notifications: you
must be not in a transaction (this is server-side behaviour), and you
must be using a Socket implementation that implements available() (SSL
connections may not do this).

-O