Re: pgAdmin3.app size?

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: OpenMacNews <OpenMacNews(at)speakeasy(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3.app size?
Date: 2005-04-11 19:49:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

OpenMacNews wrote:
>> Name: PgAdminIII
>> Kind: Application
>> Size: 246.3 MB on disk
>

> 246 MB? yikes! that's big ...
Hm... my debug build are usually that large,
but I have wx built as shared lib, and those
libs are therefore copied into the bundle (by complete-bundle.sh),
to make it self-contained....

For a non-debug, non-shared wx build I get the following
output from "du -s -h *" for PgAdminIII.app/Contents
0B Frameworks
4.0K Info.plist
7.4M MacOS
48K Resources
10M SharedSupport

The whole bundle is 18MB

Could you try to run "strip"
on the executable inside the bundle, and see if it reduces
the size? Maybe the stripping step is for some reason left on
while installing....
The .app bundle I analyzed above is quite old, and I remeber that
I stripped it manually - but IIRC I fixed this, and it should
strip while installing now...

> just a thought ... it would be nice (eventually) to be able to trim down
> such an admin tool so as to fit 'comfortably' on a USB RAM dongle.
See above - under 20MB is easily archived.
If you omit the docs, you'll get below 10MB.

Greetings, Florian Pflug