Re: [sfpug] DATA directory on network attached storage

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Aditya <aditya(at)grot(dot)org>
Cc: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [sfpug] DATA directory on network attached storage
Date: 2005-04-11 17:59:51
Lists: pgsql-performance sfpug

Aditya wrote:
> We have not, AFAICT, had any problems with the traffic over NFS as far as
> reliability -- I'm sure there is a performance penalty, but the reliability
> and scalability gains more than offset that.

My experience agrees with yours. However we did find one gotcha -- see
the thread starting here for details:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-12/msg00479.php

In a nutshell, be careful when using an nfs mounted data directory
combined with an init script that creates a new data dir when it doesn't
find one.

> FWIW, if I were to do this anew, I would probably opt for iSCSI over GigE with
> a NetApp.

Any particular reason? Our NetApp technical rep advised nfs over iSCSI,
IIRC because of performance.

Joe