Re: Name that project contest!]

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Name that project contest!]
Date: 2005-04-10 18:05:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Chris Travers wrote:
>
>> Another option is Laereth. Laereth is another name for Yggdrassil,
>> the world tree which stands above the Nine Worlds.
>

> I like this one ...

I have a lot of interesting analysis I have done on the idea of the
World Tree in Norse myth, but this is too off-topic to be posted here.
If people want a more detailed analysis on what the significance is,
feel free to email me off-list.

>> Gandalf. Name means "Wand Elf" and is only mentioned in the Norse
>> poem Voluspa. Nothing more is known about him. Never mind....
>

> Most ppl would associate Gandalf with LOTR ...

I mostly included it as a joke. Actually Tolkein took a lot of names
for dwarves and other characters from a section of the old Norse poem
Voluspa known as the "Catalog of Dwarves." You can read a translation
of Voluspa here: http://www.northvegr.org/lore/poetic/001_01.php#1

The Catalog of Dwarves starts on the 10th strophe. But the entire poem
is worth reading.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers