Re: Name that project contest!]

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Name that project contest!]
Date: 2005-04-10 05:51:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi-- I already sent this to Josh,. but figured I would send this to the
list for vetting....

I am big on mythic names.

And as a joke (I am sure some here will get this one): iHod.

For those who don't get the joke: Hod is the Hebrew word for splendor
and Kabbalists associate it with thought. Norse myth has a blind god
named Hod who kills Baldr with an arrow of mistletoe.

My serious entries are listed below Josh's post.

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
>PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data Warehousing
>applications. One problem we've had is coming up with a name for this
>project. Suggestions so far have included "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen",
>but nothing has really grabbed us.
><snip>

A few options from Norse Myth:

Valaskjalf (means "Window Shelf").

Valaskalf was Odhinn's seat in Norse myth from which he can see
everything in the world. Freyr once sneaks a peak and falls in love
with a giantess (see the old Norse poem Skirnismal).

Another option might be Mimir (Old Norse god of Memory who is killed by
the Vanir, and whose severed head tells Odhinn many things).

The third option is Huginn (Odhinn's first raven, whose name means
"Thought"). Munnin ('Memory') is his other raven. They fly over the
world every day and bring Odhinn news from across the nine worlds.

Another option is Laereth. Laereth is another name for Yggdrassil, the
world tree which stands above the Nine Worlds.

A few more names:

Alvis (All-wise), a dwarf who Thorr turns to stone by questioning him
until the sun rises because he has been promised Thorr's daughter's hand
in marriage.

Alsvith-- a giant fire-horse who draws forth the sun, see below. Name means "All-swift."

Sunna-- the Sun Goddess... Associated with keenness of insight as in
the stories of Alvis (Alvisimal) and Hrimgerth (Lay of Helgi
Hjorvarthson). It is associated with the power to turn primordial
powers (giantesses and dwarves) into stone.

Gandalf. Name means "Wand Elf" and is only mentioned in the Norse poem Voluspa. Nothing more is known about him. Never mind....

Hope this helps....

OK, I have too much time on my hands....

Thinking of other options: Ansula (Old Germanic for "Little Holder of the Reins" based on several sources from E. Polome
to S. Flowers.)
Later is associated with speech and thought.

Vafthrudhnir (ok, just kidding on this one-- you probably want something someone can pronounce,
and whose name does NOT mean "The Entangler")

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting