Re: Allow continuations in "pg_hba.conf" files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow continuations in "pg_hba.conf" files
Date: 2020-09-02 18:53:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> [ pg-hba-cont-4.patch ]

I looked this over and I think it seems reasonable, but there's
something else we should do. If people are writing lines long
enough that they need to continue them, how long will it be
before they overrun the line length limit? Admittedly, there's
a good deal of daylight between 80 characters and 8K, but if
we're busy removing restrictions on password length in an adjacent
thread [1], I think we ought to get rid of pg_hba.conf's line length
restriction while we're at it.

Accordingly, I borrowed some code from that thread and present
the attached revision. I also added some test coverage, since
that was lacking before, and wordsmithed docs and comments slightly.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/09512C4F-8CB9-4021-B455-EF4C4F0D55A0%40amazon.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg-hba-cont-5.patch text/x-diff 7.6 KB