Re: SAP migration options

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SAP migration options
Date: 2005-03-30 08:15:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Neil Conway wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone has any experience with migrating an existing SAP
> ERP system to run on top of PostgreSQL. Assuming that moving off of SAP
> to another ERP system isn't really an option, are there any options for
> using PostgreSQL as the database backend?
>
> (I suspect the answer is "no", but I thought I'd ask around and see if
> anyone has tried this in the past.)
>
> -Neil

Neil,

SAP and PostgreSQL are not an option.
Compared to the costs of a SAP system the costs for the database (even
Oracle) are ridiculous.
As far as I know only 6% of the costs caused by a SAP system are related
to the database.
I don't think that anybody would risk using a database which is not
supported by SAP.

Most likely we will never be taken into consideration by SAP.
By the way: Not even SAP DB (which is a bad thing) has been used
seriously by SAP.

Cheers,

Hans