Re: Driver maintenance continuation

From: Marko Ristola <marko(dot)ristola(at)kolumbus(dot)fi>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Driver maintenance continuation
Date: 2005-03-29 17:04:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc

It's really great that you did get the job and PostgreSQL will
get a new much better driver.

Congratulations for you and your team members!

I wrote the first message for one purpose:
We need to maintain this driver until the replacement is ready.
I have learned from others, that it is wise to remember to maintain
the current driver until the new one is ready.

So there is a need for ODBC supporters while you and your
team are making the new driver.

I haven't been able to improve the current driver,
but I don't have detailed ODBC specs or time either.

I have been thinkin about one year ago, that this driver
needs something like a rewrite: I wrote about higher
level ODBC objects and read/write functions from the objects into the
backend
messages for many different database backend versions
almost one year ago (it was in the psqlodbc feature request list).

With those objects, you could do something like:
- insert a bunch of rows into the backend.
- support different backends by isolating the backend differences
into object read/write functions.

So I miss higher level code on the ODBC driver.

I wrote some code, but the task was overly large for me
even for an extremely small workable part of the driver with my lack of
time.

I understood also then, that my suggestion might have been very slow
because of many memory allocations ...

I haven't looked at the libpq code. It is very good, that you have
a good stable code base to start with.

Sincerely with congratulations,

Marko Ristola