Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?

From: Steve Poe <spoe(at)sfnet(dot)cc>
To: Cott Lang <cott(at)internetstaff(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date: 2005-03-28 17:36:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Cott Lang wrote:

>Have you already considered application/database tuning? Adding
>indexes? shared_buffers large enough? etc.
>
>Your database doesn't seem that large for the hardware you've already
>got. I'd hate to spend $7k and end up back in the same boat. :)

Cott,

I agree with you. Unfortunately, I am not the developer of the
application. The vendor uses ProIV which connects via ODBC. The vendor
could certain do some tuning and create more indexes where applicable. I
am encouraging the vendor to take a more active role and we work
together on this.

With hardware tuning, I am sure we can do better than 35Mb per sec. Also
moving the top 3 or 5 tables and indexes to their own slice of a RAID10
and moving pg_xlog to its own drive will help too.

Since you asked about tuned settings, here's what we're using:

kernel.shmmax = 1073741824
shared_buffers = 10000
sort_mem = 8192
vacuum_mem = 65536