Re: \x in psql

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: \x in psql
Date: 2005-03-24 01:03:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>When you turn on \x mode for query output in psql, it wrecks the output
>>of \d <table>, etc.
>>
>>Should we change it so that the \d is unaffected by \x? What about for
>>other \d commands?
>
> Well, they asked for \x so why is it wrong for us to \x the \d output
> like we do now?

Because I have the feeling (back me up on this people) that most people
who use it still want to be able to read their table definitions while
working in \x mode. Who on earth would want \x to affect their table
output??

Also, it doesn't affect the bit below the table, like indexes and
constraints, so you have this wacky column output, then perfectly normal
index and constraint display!

Chris