Re: Unstable timestamp binary representation?

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unstable timestamp binary representation?
Date: 2005-03-18 20:02:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz> writes:
>

>>In other words, it seems that I, as a client, needs to guess whether
>>postgres was compiled with or without "HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP".
>>

>No, you need to inquire of the value of the "integer_datetimes"
>parameter. (At least as of 8.0, this is provided "for free" during
>connection startup, so you don't even need an extra network round
>trip to find it out.)

Hmm. So I need to call "|PQparameterStatus" with "|integer_datetimes".
If I get "TRUE", treat as integer, if I get "FALSE", treat as double.
What happens if I get NULL? The docs seem to suggest that this is what
will happen for 7.4 back end, and the FALSE is the default. My
experience shows, however, that at least 7.4 for Debian Sid should be true.

>No, it checks. See pg_control.

Not what I have seen from the code, but I will take your word for it.

> regards, tom lane

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh