Re: signed short fd

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: signed short fd
Date: 2005-03-14 21:05:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com wrote:

>>pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com writes:
>>

>>>That is hardly anything that I would feel comfortable with. Lets break
>>>this down into all the areas that are ambiguous:
>>>

>>There isn't anything ambiguous about this, nor is it credible that there
>>are implementations that don't follow the intent of the spec.
>>

>How do you know the intent of the spec? I have seen no meta discussion
>about the behavior of the file descriptor integer returned from open. The
>Steven's book makes no such assumptions, and the steven's book (Advanced
>Programming in the UNIX Environment) is what people reference.

My copy of APUE says on page 49: "The file descriptor returned by open
is the lowest numbered unused descriptor. This is used by some
applications to open a new file on standard input, standard output, or
standard error."

Unless someone can show there's an actual problem this discussion seems
quite pointless.

cheers

andrew