Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2022-08-11 04:32:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> I'll volunteer to work on this unless an easier solution happens to
> come along in the next couple days. (aside: guc-file.l doesn't have a
> grammar, so not yet sure if that makes the issue easier or harder...)

That one's probably mostly about the issue mentioned in the other
commit you identified. Without %top, it's impossible to make a
standalone flex module honor the rule about thou-shalt-have-no-
other-includes-before-postgres.h. So embedding it in some other
file was originally a necessity for that. Now that we know how
to fix that, it's just a matter of making sure that any other stuff
the scanner needs is available from a .h file.