Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
To: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against
Date: 2005-03-11 21:49:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Jean-Paul Argudo wrote:

>>There _is_ a problem with doing so, organisationally, as that does
>>make the organisation more or less political in nature. And that
>>can disqualify it from being treated as a charitable organisation.
>>

>Placing a projet as Open Source, IMHO, is already a political act.
>

>It means you care about people, and sharing knowledge, etc: let's say is more or
>less LEFT side politic.... It may means too you care about free commercial
>relashionships, free open market, etc: let's say is more or less RIGHT side
>politic...

Only in the sense that licensing a project under a proprietary license
is a political act along the lines of an "Ownership Society."

Sorry, I don't think it has a whole lot to do with politics itself.

However, the software industry is at the moment highly politicized on
both sides for the FOSS divide, particularly over the patent issue. So
participation in this community almost by necessity forces one to take a
stand. Participation in FOSS for any length of time doubly forces one
to take a stand.

>IMHO, everything is political when you are involved in any organization of any
>nature.
>
>How PostgreSQL can tell on the main website
>" The world's most advanced open source database "
>
>... *and* not defending Open source from its major threat: patents?

Hmm......

I am not entirely convinced that software patents are as dangerous to
our project as some have argued.

However, helping to turn around the patent question *is* part of
ensuring the PostgreSQL gets a fair chance to compete. Otherwise, we
have a competitive disadvantage compared to Oracle and MS SQL.

So the question is to what extent we are just trying to get a publicity
campaign going or whether we are going to really try to strengthen
PostgreSQL by looking also at issues of public policy.

Obviously we need to be careful going forward. We may want to get
professional advice regarding guidelines. But I think that public
policy currently needs to be a part of the discussion.

Finally, I would point out that the Apache Foundation's new license
takes a stand against software patents in the license. This is at least
as political as any education campaign. Additionally, I would not be
opposed to such a patent clause in the PostgreSQL license. I know it
will never happen, but I can still mention it....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Attachment Content-Type Size