Re: PG_MODULE_MAGIC check in 8.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Shelby Cain <alyandon(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG_MODULE_MAGIC check in 8.2
Date: 2006-11-16 20:15:27
Lists: pgsql-general

> That said, do you have to specify the library kernel32? If you use
> language "internal", doesn't that find it since it's already loaded?

This has come up before:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-06/msg00721.php

That particular thread died off when we realized that the complained-of
usage never worked anyway. But we didn't thoroughly discuss the
question of whether there are any significant cases where it makes sense
to be able to LOAD a file that contains no PG-specific code whatsoever.
I'm inclined to think not --- at least, not significant enough that we
should destroy the usefulness of the magic-block check to let this work.
It could be debated though. Does anyone have any more-compelling
examples?