Runtime accepting build discrepancies

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Runtime accepting build discrepancies
Date: 2005-03-09 18:27:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Scenario:
A user download a pre-built PostgreSQL 7.4.7 from somewhere and a
pre-built pljava distro from gborg. He gets everything running but
suddenly encounteres problems with the timetz type. PL/Java apparently
return the time as zero. The problem is caused by the postgresql binary
being built using --enable-integer-datetimes whereas the PL/Java binary
is not.

The dynamic loader doesn't detect this and I bet there's a ton of
combinations that will link just fine but perhaps crash (badly) in
runtime. I would like to detect discrepancies like this during runtime
somehow. I feel that it's either that or stop providing pre-built
binaries altogether. I realize that I can't be the only one with this
problem. How is this normally handled?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren