Re: RFC: pgAgent Scheduler Design

From: Miha Radej <miha(dot)radej(at)siix(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFC: pgAgent Scheduler Design
Date: 2005-03-08 06:17:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

hi!

Dave Page wrote:

>>I don't completely agree. If a job was stuck unexecuted in
>>the queue for
>>a while, it should run asap, and the next schedule should be
>>calculated
>>in the future, i.e. a daily job not executed for 5 days shouldn't be
>>executed 5x, but only once after pgAgent is up again.
>
> Hmm, not sure about that. I definitely want to hear some other opinions
> on this please!!

if i may, i'd very much like to see something like this:

- if a job does not execute, i'd like to set an option whether to be
executed as soon as possible, delayed or nor, or if execution should be
held until the next planned time.
- should this be the last planned execution of a job, ie. a job
executing monday to friday and then never again, i'd like to be able to
set an option in such special case: if the execution was held and the
last execution was held also, it'd be great to be able to set an option
like the above paragraph for such exceptional cases.
- an option whether to execute jobs several times or only once, would be
handy. for example, if i have a daily job and have an incrementing value
set to n, i'd expect it to be n+5 5 days later. sometimes, when, say,
refreshing data in a table, multiple executions aren't necessary, so a
checkbox or something would be nice imo.
- if it should happen that something is set to execute periodically
every 10 minutes but takes more than that to execute, is it possible to
set it either to wait until the first job is done and only then launch
the next run, or to allow overlapping jobs, ie. execute a job at the
next specified time, regardless if the previous run hasn't finished yet.
- and another feature request: is it possible to set an execution time
frame, from and to a certain date and have a job executed at random
times (with a possibility of specifying the number or range (ie. between
5 and 9) of executions) within that specified time frame? right now i
have a script that does sth. like that. err, this is a rather exotic
request, i know, but it is something i could use so i just had to write
this :)

i hope i stayed in context and my opinion helps. now i'll just crawl
back into my cave and just read the postings here again :)

regards,
Miha