Re: multi billion row tables: possible or insane?

From: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>
To: Ramon Bastiaans <bastiaans(at)sara(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multi billion row tables: possible or insane?
Date: 2005-03-01 14:01:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi, Ramon,

Ramon Bastiaans schrieb:

> The database's performance is important. There would be no use in
> storing the data if a query will take ages. Query's should be quite fast
> if possible.

Which kind of query do you want to run?

Queries that involve only a few rows should stay quite fast when you set
up the right indices.

However, queries that involve sequential scans over your table (like
average computation) will take years. Get faaaaaast I/O for this. Or,
better, use a multidimensional data warehouse engine. Those can
precalculate needed aggregate functions and reports. But they need loads
of storage (because of very redundant data storage), and I don't know
any open source or cheap software.

Markus
--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich