Re: Possible to run the server with ANSI/ISO string

From: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PgSQL General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Possible to run the server with ANSI/ISO string
Date: 2005-02-28 18:19:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:13:00 -0700,
> Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com> wrote:
>
>>Besides, the version-deprecation / version requirements you mention
>>exists in every piece of software I've even seen. Sometime they're okay
>>with a really old version, sometime only the newest will do. This is the
>>very argument for getting PG to offer an (use-optional) escape behavior
>>inline with the rest - to mitigate these version requirements down the road.
>

> Shouldn't this data be being passed through some standard code that checks if
> escaping is needed? If so, is that the right place to handle whether or not
> backslashes need to be escaped in addition to single quotes?

Ideally yes, but its not a requirement in any driver's spec that I'm
familiar with. In fact the driver specs expect or 'claim' some (possibly
implicit) level of sql language compliance -- so that the same query
sent to a different database yields the same result.

insert into tbl (path) values ('c:\test')

The above query *could* and "should* be sent through an escape
preprocessor (PreparedStatement interface) but it is *not* required.
It's also not fair to say that a user can *expect* the above to not work
with PG even though it does with another DB, imo. The user coming from
another DB *won't* expect it to be broken. (I know from experience :-)