Re: PL/Pgsql or PL/Python?

From: Andrew Hammond <ahammond(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: Wolfgang Keller <wolfgang(dot)keller(dot)nospam(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/Pgsql or PL/Python?
Date: 2005-02-28 02:38:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

This is a very vague question. I'd suggest it's worth learning pl/pgsql
simply because it's designed to solve a set of problems common in
database systems. The design makes it reasonably efficient for
implementing solutions in this area.

The problem you're (just barely) describing below is something I'd
probably try to address with pure sql stored procedures. Remember, the
database already has numeric support capabilities. If you stick to pure
sql procedures, not only do you remain portable, but you may be able to
gain some wins in the planner.

I also suggest that if you're attempting to iterate in Python, then you
might not be understanding how an integrated procedural language is
intended to be used.

Drew