Re: CVS Commit by dpage: Use schema 'pgadmin' as

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CVS Commit by dpage: Use schema 'pgadmin' as
Date: 2005-02-27 12:21:44
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Raphaël Enrici wrote:
> cvs(at)developer(dot)pgadmin(dot)org wrote:
> may I ask for a short explanation concerning pgagent? What's the goal of
> this part of the software?

pgAgent is a daemon/service for scheduling data centric tasks. It's a
pgsql based replacement for cron/at/whatever, capable of executing sql
directly (e.g. cleanup some intermediate tables every night, or some
OLAP things), as well as calling shell scripts. All configuration and
logging is stored in the pgadmin schema.

pgAgent is supposed to have an easy to use gui (guess which...). As long
as no external scripts are executed, you shouldn't notice on which
platform pgsql/pgAgent is running on.

Regards,
Andreas