Re: PGPASSWORD

From: postgresbugs <postgresbugs(at)grifent(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGPASSWORD
Date: 2005-02-26 15:06:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Bruce Momjian wrote:
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">postgresbugs wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Oliver Jowett wrote:

</pre>
<pre wrap="">postgresbugs wrote:

</pre>
<pre wrap="">The functionality provided by PGPASSWORD should not be removed unless
there is a functionality other than .pgpass, which is fine for some
uses and not for others, that will provide similar functionality.
That could be psql and pg_dump and the like accepting a password on
the command line as I stated earlier.
</pre>
<pre wrap="">
Putting the password on the command line would be even more of a
security problem than PGPASSWORD is now. I agree that an alternative
to ,pgpass would be useful, but it needs to be a *secure* alternative.

-O
</pre>
<pre wrap="">That may be true. Again, I think the option to use or not use PGPASSWORD
or something similar should be up to the system administrator.
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
I have updated the docs to read "not recommended":

authentication. This environment variable is not recommended for security

</pre>
Thanks.<br>
John Griffiths<br>

Attachment Content-Type Size