Re: is pg_autovacuum so effective ?

From: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>
To: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is pg_autovacuum so effective ?
Date: 2005-02-24 12:13:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi, Gaetano,

Gaetano Mendola schrieb:

> I have the same requirement too. Actually pg_autovacuum can not be
> instructed "per table" so some time the global settings are not good
> enough. I have a table of logs with 6 milions rows ( 3 years logs )
> I insert on that page ~ 6000 rows for day. I'm running pg_autovacuum
> with setting to ANALYZE or VACUUM table if the 10% is touched.
> With this setting pg_autovacuum will analyze that table each 3 months!!!

If you have only inserts, and only so few on a large table, you do not
need to vacuum such often. Not to reclaim space, only to prevent
transaction ID wraparound (which is ensured by pg_autovacuum).

And if the data distribution does not change, frequently calling ANALYZE
does not help much, either.

Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich