Re: utffile patch

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Max Khon <fjoe(at)samodelkin(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: utffile patch
Date: 2005-02-24 11:55:11
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Max Khon wrote:

> You are correct. The patch I submitted is a workaround and was never supposed
> to fix the root of the problem. But it allows to run pgadmin3 1.2.0 on FreeBSD
> 4.x which lacks proper wchar_t support but is still widely used.

That hotfix didn't allow reading a file, so disabling the non-working
file operations would have been better.

> I removed non-Unicode support in FreeBSD port initially because of the
> problems you described, but the a few users asked me if it is possible to
> add it back.

While we removed non-unicode builds for win32 a long time ago, I'm not
opposed to supporting it in general. If you contribute some working code
(which would either mean adding a utf handling portion for non-unicode
in utffile or disable unicode file operations throughout the app),
you're welcome.

Regards,
Andreas