Re: maximum size

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Molinet Sylviane <molinet(at)ibp(dot)u-psud(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: maximum size
Date: 2005-02-24 08:30:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Molinet Sylviane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> could you be so kind to help me with following requests ?
>
> I need the maximum size of the following types :
> varchar(n)
> numeric(n,p)
> text
> bytea
>
> Could you please give me the name of articles or publications and where
> I can find it for these requests ?

Well, the manuals would be a good source of information for this. Go to
the website, and click "Documentation". There is a list of manuals on
the right-hand side. A good place to start is
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/datatype.html

> I want to transfer a oracle database 8i to postgreSQL 7.3.2. Is there an
> article or publication which related about this ?

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ is a good place to start. Also, check
the mailing list archives for specific points.

Oh, there is a French-language community site too at:
http://www.postgresqlfr.org/
One of their news stories concerns a company moving from Oracle to
PostgreSQL too.

HTH
--
Richard Huxton