Re: Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute?

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute?
Date: 2005-02-22 17:54:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, that probably knocks out my thought that we could stop reserving
> the system column names (at least ctid and xmin, which are the two that
> actually seem useful to ordinary clients, need to stay reserved). But
> it still seems like we don't have to represent these columns explicitly
> in pg_attribute.

Hm, technically you might be right. Still, I like pgAdmin3 to show that
columns (when "show system objects" is enabled) for teaching purposes,
so users/newbies browsing the objects will learn "hey, there are some
reserved columns, they could have some meaning". I'd be not too excited
about emulating system column pg_attribute entries...

Regards,
Andreas