Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables

From: Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables
Date: 2021-07-26 18:11:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 19:38
To: Alvaro Herrera

> Yeah, we don't support partial indexes on catalogs, and this example
> doesn't make me feel like we ought to open that can of worms.

I asked why such an index doesn't exists already. I guess that answers it. I definitely don't want to push for supporting that, especially not knowing what it entails.

> But then maybe this function shouldn't assume there's only one match?

I'd consider a duplication here a serious bug. That is pretty much catalog corruption. Having two children within a single child table sounds like it would break a lot of things.

That being said this function is hardly performance critical. I don't know whether throwing an elog indicating what's going wrong here would be worth it.

Regards
Arne