Re: backup-restore does not work

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Art Fore <art(dot)fore(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backup-restore does not work
Date: 2005-02-09 14:25:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

Art Fore wrote:
> Tried a refresh again and the table and views were gone. Then the
> restore worked. I do not understand why I do a refresh after dropping
> the table and views, they are still there, then a little later, do a
> refresh, they are gone. WHY?

Apparently you had some stuff in the database you took as template when
creating the database. To restore a full backup of a db, I'd recommend
to use template0.

> How does one do an update to a table that is completely changed other
> than dopping it and restoring it? Seems like there should be an easier
> way that backup-restore.

Restore is not for updating, but as the name says for reconstructing
empty databases and tables from scratch. It's on your own responsibility
to make sure your restore target is as empty as restore expects it.

Regards,
Andreas