Re: too slow

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Shashi Gireddy <gireddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: too slow
Date: 2005-02-08 18:13:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Shashi Gireddy wrote:
> I recently migrated from MySql, The database size in mysql was 1.4GB
> (It is a static database). It generated a dump file (.sql) of size
> 8GB), It took 2days to import the whole thing into postgres. ]

Well that sounds like you don't have your postgresql.conf configured
to properly utilize your system.

> After all
> the response from postgres is a disaster. It took 40sec's to run a
> select count(logrecno) from sf10001;

Are you running a RAID?

> which generated a value 197569.
> And It took for ever time to display the table. How to optimize the
> database so that I can expect faster access to data.

Have you analyzed?

> each table has 70 colsX197569 rows (static data), like that I have 40
> tables, Everything static.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.
503-667-4564

--
Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared

Attachment Content-Type Size
jd.vcf text/x-vcard 640 bytes