Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]

From: Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]
Date: 2014-07-02 05:27:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01 July 2014 22:17, Sawada Masahiko Wrote,

> I have executed latest patch.
> One question is that how to use --jobs option is correct?
> $ vacuumdb -d postgres --jobs=30
>
> I got following error.
> vacuumdb: unrecognized option '--jobs=30'
> Try "vacuumdb --help" for more information.

Thanks for comments, Your usage are correct, but there are some problem in code and I have fixed the same in attached patch.

Apart from this issue fix currently I am working on jeff's comments for making the code common between pg_dump/parallel.c and scripts/vac_parallel.c.
I found that almost 300 lines of code we can move to common place, but only problem is where to keep the common code.

I am thinking of
1. keeping a common folder in bin folder --> src/bin/common and move common code which is specific to parallel operation in src/bin/common/parallel_common.c
2. Both vacuum db and pg_dump will compile this file in while generating there executables(in future other executable like reindex can also use same for parallel functionality)

Thoughts ?

Thanks & Regards,
Dilip Kumar

Attachment Content-Type Size
vacuumdb_parallel_v6.patch application/octet-stream 49.4 KB