Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

From: Pallav Kalva <pkalva(at)deg(dot)cc>
To: Morus Walter <morus(dot)walter(at)tanto(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Online Backup and WAL archives
Date: 2005-02-03 14:54:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

yes, documentation points to the recovery_target_time(timestamp) option
in this regard, sorry i missed that. but there is one thing which is
still not clear to me is if we restore the database to some time back ,
what happens to WAL files in the pg_xlog directory ? if we still keep
those files there, arent they out of sync ? since we are going back in
time and we dont need the WAL logs after the
recovery_target_time(timestamp), or is it that restore command takes
care everything automatically ? the manual doesnt clearly say what
happens to the WAL logs in pg_xlog in case if we use the
recovery_target_time(timestamp) option.

In Oracle i know that there is a option of resetting the logs if we have
to restore some time in back, not sure how it works in new Postgres 8.