GiST indexes and concurrency (tsearch2)

From: "Marinos J(dot) Yannikos" <mjy(at)geizhals(dot)at>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: GiST indexes and concurrency (tsearch2)
Date: 2005-02-03 04:55:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

according to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/limitations.html ,
concurrent access to GiST indexes isn't possible at the moment. I
haven't read the thesis mentioned there, but I presume that concurrent
read access is also impossible. Is there any workaround for this, esp.
if the index is usually only read and not written to?

It seems to be a big problem with tsearch2, when multiple clients are
hammering the db (we have a quad opteron box here that stays 75% idle
despite an apachebench with concurrency 10 stressing the php script that
uses tsearch2, with practically no disk accesses)

Regards,
Marinos
--
Dipl.-Ing. Marinos Yannikos, CEO