Re: When is a blank not a null or ''

From: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
To: mike <mike(at)redtux1(dot)uklinux(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: When is a blank not a null or ''
Date: 2005-02-02 10:26:57
Lists: pgsql-general

mike wrote:
> I have the following query (I have removed all nulls from the field as
> test)
>
> SELECT first_name,work_email FROM tb_contacts WHERE
> tb_contacts.work_email <>'';
>
> However I get loads of blank email addresses coming up
>
> anyone any ideas

A blank is never a NULL:

SELECT '' IS NULL;
?column?
----------
(1 row)

Try this:

SELECT first_name,work_email FROM tb_contacts WHERE
tb_contacts.work_email IS NOT NULL;

Or if there are also blanks among those e-mail addresses:

SELECT first_name,work_email FROM tb_contacts WHERE
tb_contacts.work_email IS NOT NULL AND tb_contacts.work_email != '';

--
Alban Hertroys
MAG Productions

T: +31(0)53 4346874