Re: Something strang on "left join"

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: jeanpierre(dot)carayol(at)free(dot)fr
Cc: 陳世泓 <adam_chen(at)bankpro(dot)com(dot)tw>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Something strang on "left join"
Date: 2017-09-28 17:01:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 09/28/2017 12:01 PM, jeanpierre(dot)carayol(at)free(dot)fr wrote:
> I also suspect the ID columns values for lines identified by CUST-NO.
>
> Sorry to ask an additionnal question here. There is a useful Oracle
> function dump()
> <https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28286/functions048.htm#SQLRF00635>
> to check the internal field value. Is there anything similar with
> PostgreSQL ?

I don't think there's anything like that in PostgreSQL directly, but you
could use "orafce" extension [1] which provides various functions
available on Oracle, including dump().

[1] https://github.com/orafce/orafce

But you could also use 'quote_ident()' which simply quotes the value, so
any additional spaces are quite obvious.

Or even better - fix the schema and make the fields INT or BIGINT, which
will make the fields both more efficient and resilient to such issues.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com