Re: Status of PostgreSQL for 4+ processors

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Benjamin Arai <barai(at)cs(dot)ucr(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Status of PostgreSQL for 4+ processors
Date: 2005-01-26 06:47:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Benjamin Arai wrote:
> I have been trying to find information on PostgreSQL for running it on
> greater then 4 processors. Are there any benchmarks out there and have
> there been any problems or does anybody forsee any issues running
> PostgreSQL with more then 4 processors?

There shouldn't be any issues with running on large SMP machines. There
has been some speculation that lock contention (specifically for the
BufMgrLock) might hurt performance somewhat on machines with > 4
processors, but I don't know to what degree. In any case, you should
certainly be able to *use* PG; how well it will perform on a many-way
SMP box relative to, say, Oracle, I'm not sure.

-Neil