Re: same question little different test MSSQL vrs Postgres

From: Dennis Sacks <dennis(at)illusions(dot)com>
To: Joel Fradkin <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: same question little different test MSSQL vrs Postgres
Date: 2005-01-26 04:21:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

Joel Fradkin wrote:

> I also tried a simple select * from tblcase where clientum = 'SAKS'
>
> On both MSSQL and Postgres.
>
> MSSQL was 3 secs, Postgres was 27 secs.
>

> There is a key for clientnum, but it appeared on both systems
> (identical Dell Desktops Postgres is running Linux MSSQL is XP) it did
> not do a indexed search.

One of the things you'll want to do regularly is run a "vacuum analyze".
You can read up on this in the postgresql docs. This is essential to the
indexes being used properly. At a bare minimum, after you import a large
amount of data, you'll want to run vacuum analyze.

Dennis Sacks
dennis(at)illusions(dot)com