Infinite recursion detected... How do I prevent that?

From: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
Subject: Infinite recursion detected... How do I prevent that?
Date: 2005-01-19 13:57:47
Lists: pgsql-general

1 7
1 8
2 4
2 5
2 6
3 7
3 8
etc.

This is an optimization table that relates all nodes in a branch to all
it's ancestor nodes; to it's parent, to it's grand parent to it's grand
grand parent, etc.

The tree is 3 to 5 levels deep. The intention is to delete all children
of a branch that share the same ancestor when an ancestor gets deleted.
This happens recursively, of course.

If I try a delete on the tree table I get "Infinite recursion detected
on rules on tree". I'm pretty sure it's not "infinite" in my case, how
can I make it delete the records regardless this "infinity"?

At the moment I use a trigger, but I would prefer a rule.

Alban.