Re: ARC patent

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ARC patent
Date: 2005-01-17 20:30:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>If PostgreSQL 8.0 is released with ARC, and then PostgreSQL 8.1 is
>released without ARC, and then the patent is granted to IBM, would
>everyone be fine if they just all switched to 8.1 at that time? Or would
>we have some kind of retroactive problem? Would people that are still
>using 8.0 in production, but not distributing it, have difficulty?

The biggest problem is going to be that if we release 8 with
the patented stuff, then for a minimum of 3 years there will
be liability for anyone running 8.

We still have people running 7.1 and once you get something
into production you typically don't just "change" it.

Basically I think the fact that we are even considering leaving
the knowingly infringing code in 8 is presenting a horrible
face to the community.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Regards,
> Jeff

>TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org

Attachment Content-Type Size
jd.vcf text/x-vcard 285 bytes