Re: ARC patent

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ARC patent
Date: 2005-01-17 19:44:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>We can modify the code slightly to hopefully avoid the patent. With the
>US granting patents on even obvious ideas, I would think that most large
>software projects, including commercial ones, already have tons of
>patent violations in their code. Does anyone think otherwise?
>
>However, I will grant that ARC is not an obvious idea.

Speaking from a commercial perspective, if the community has
known patent violating code within its source tree, the community
needs to remove and or modify as to not violate that patent
before any continued release.

The last thing I am sure that:

RedHat
Pervasive
SRA
Fufitsu
PgSQL, Inc.
and of course
Command Prompt

want is a call from IBM saying... hey we aren't going to go
after the community but you need to pay up.

The patent risk is just entirely too great and it can greatly
hurt the community as a whole.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Attachment Content-Type Size