Re: BUG #1397: busy-loop hang on web server

From: Chris Jones <chris(at)cjones(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1397: busy-loop hang on web server
Date: 2005-01-16 16:15:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Are you running any plug-ins or have you altered the server code in any
> way? This might be additional Languages added, Functions written in
> those languages or SPI code. Those must draw the most suspicion for an
> error of this type.

"select * from pg_language" shows only internal, c, and sql. I haven't
altered the server code at all. I don't know what a plug-in is in the
PostgreSQL context, so I assume I'm not using any of those, either. :)
I've got several apps installed, but the only one I've run at all is a
PHP-based one, Serendipity. It just runs "regular" SQL statements.

> Do you have deadlock detection enabled; set to what?

I haven't altered the config at all (but see below). The settings in
postgresql.conf indicate it's using a deadlock timeout of 1 second (1000
ms).

> You need to provide considerably more information to allow anyone to
> help you on this.

I know; I'm open to suggestions on what information would be useful.
One setting I did just change in postgresql.conf affects logging; it's
now logging all statements via syslog. I hope that I'll be able to find
the offending statement in the log the next time it hangs.

> Your best solution might be to move to 8.0, since you are compiling from
> source, and hope that the problem has been resolved at that release. You
> will certainly get many other benefits.

I intend to switch to 8.0, but I'd rather not do so immediately if I can
help it.

Chris

--
Chris Jones chris(at)cjones(dot)org www.cjones.org