Re: OID Usage

From: Bo Lorentsen <bl(at)netgroup(dot)dk>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-general postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OID Usage
Date: 2005-01-14 23:01:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael Fuhr wrote:

>The PostgreSQL documentation discourages the use of OIDs for primary
>keys. For example, the "Object Identifier Types" section in the
>"Data Types" chapter says:

Thanks for taking you the time to snip this together, I think I will try
to find a way to find the propper primary key (using pg_* tables), and
if this uses the "nextval", I may be able to retrive the currently
inserted row by using currval.

>The 8.0 Release Notes say the following under "Deprecated Features":

Why have this not happend before ? The "PGoidValue need to be depricated
too. And why is it not substitutet with something else ?

/BL