Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Lance Obermeyer <LObermey(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement
Date: 2005-01-11 18:33:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> I'm not even so much worried about Pervasive claiming a trademark on a name
> that is generally considered some kind of "community property", whatever that
> means. What I'm puzzled about is that you are clearly aware that
> "PostgreSQL" is a registered trademark, and that you try to sidestep that
> problem by calling your product "Postgres". Everyone who is even slightly
> familiar with trademark regulations knows that that doesn't work. At the
> same time you are undermining our eternal effort to teach people the correct
> name of our product. So that leaves me to believe either (a) the legal
> department of Pervasive is incompetent, or (b) the marketing department of
> Pervasive is incompetent, or (c) you are trying to get away with something,
> or (d) you are trying to lay claim on the name "PostgreSQL" through the
> backdoor. Please educate us.

Or perhaps, they are just protecting their collective business
interests. I seriously doubt that Pervasive has any level of ulterior
motive here. They are a business, they want to make money.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared

Attachment Content-Type Size
jd.vcf text/x-vcard 655 bytes