Re: how to optimize my c-extension functions

From: TJ O'Donnell <tjo(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
Subject: Re: how to optimize my c-extension functions
Date: 2005-01-09 20:34:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Yes, my c function and it's sql counterpart, oe_matches(smiles)
uses two steps (1) parse smiles (2) search parsed smiles.
Parsing is expensive. The smiles has an external string representation,
which is stored in a smiles column, but only the parsed form is actually
searchable.
The smiles representation is never searched in a traditional string
manner, except perhaps for a direct lookup (string equals).
LIKE has no meaning for smiles strings, similarly < or > are
meaningless.

Smiles is parsed into atom and bond representations using
3rd party c++ code/methods. I simply call their methods
to parse and search. A binary string can be got from them
for persistent storage in a postgres column. It can then be
restored into a c++ object for searching, thus avoiding the
parsing stage, except for the initial creation of a row with
a smiles column.

My goal here is to optimize the search by storing the parsed smiles,
YET HIDE THIS FROM THE USER. I thought I might be able to store
the parsed smiles in an index for me to use while searching, even
though it would not be used for indexing in the traditional manner.
This would mean creating a new indexing method. I've read up on this
and it seems a daunting task. Am I perverting the index method if
I try to do this?

So, aside from having the user be responsible for maintaining a
column of parsed smiles (and possibly other related columns which
would speed up the search), is there a way I can create and maintain
a table related to the table containing the smiles - and all
behind the scenes so the sql user is unaware of this.
My thought was that an index is like that and I might borrow some
of the internal uses of indexing for my purposes.

TJ O'Donnell
tjo(at)acm(dot)org