Re: Inappropriate changes to front page text [Was: Re:

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Emily Boyd <emily(at)tinysofa(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)www(dot)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inappropriate changes to front page text [Was: Re:
Date: 2004-12-22 04:06:43
Lists: pgsql-www

Emily Boyd wrote:

> Joshua,
>
>> It is also not offensive to say Merry Christmas to someone, even if
>> they don't celebrate it.
>> If you take offense to it... well then get a life. It is not about
>> pushing and ideal or
>> a religious process onto anyone. It is depending on your belief:
>>
>> 1. A celebration of Christ in which you are expressing your
>> happiness. You don't have to agree with it.
>> You should be happy for the person who has the belief.
>

> Having *The PostgreSQL Global Development Group* saying "Merry
> Christmas" to the international PostgreSQL community may be
> interpreted as culturally insensitive, as it implies that the *entire*
> PostgreSQL Global Development Group has this particular belief

I do not agree. Having *The PostgreSQL Global Development Group* say
"Merry Christmas", is saying hey Merry Christmas.
Just as I would say Happy Solstice to a friend of mine who is a Pagan. I
don't celebrate Solstice but that doesn't
mean I can't be happy for, or appreciate that "he" does celebrate Solstice.

> (which from a quick glance at the locations and backgrounds of
> developers, seems unlikely), and that *everyone* in the PostgreSQL
> community celebrates Christmas. Sure, maybe only a minority will be
> offended, but is it worth the risk with such a diverse, international
> community?

Uhmmm... it offends me that we are having a discussion about the fact
that we can't say "Merry Christmas" and there has
already been one other post by another member saying that he thinks it
is silly as well.

> There's an easy fix for this: change it to "Happy Holidays" and remove
> the references to Christmas.

Not really because the Holidays, except for Christmas -- are over.

> Google uses this phrasing, as do many organisations who don't want to
> risk offending anyone. While it may be simple to fix, the issue is
> that the content seems to have been written with little consideration
> of its implications.

Good lord. Emily I am sorry, I am sure that you are a really nice person
but the sentence above just bleeds...

I am a big corporation who has to make sure that every shareholder is
happy and that every customer thinks we are a
neutral so that **GASP** everyone will want to buy our product.

It sounds like politics.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards,