New Fedora 3 install gives: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: New Fedora 3 install gives: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist
Date: 2004-12-21 19:31:46
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to install PG 7.4.6 (from Fedora rpms) and
keep getting stuck with psql refusing to do anything
useful. As a simple example:

-----------------------------------
bash-3.00$ createdb postgres
CREATE DATABASE
bash-3.00$ psql

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

postgres=# \l
ERROR: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist
-----------------------------------

The only reference I could find on this error all dealt
with copying a database, and suggested using REINDEX.
However, the instructions in REINDEX say that I have
to start a standalone server with the -P option. This
option isn't documented (in the postgres man page)
and I cannot get pg_ctl to startup a server with
this option - it returns w/o error and no server is
running.

I don't see any errors when starting with
"service postgresql start" - and if I empty out
/var/lib/pgsql, the command initializes the database
with no errors.

Can someone give me some pointers on what I'm doing
wrong and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!
Steve

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu