Re: currval bug??

From: Gabriele Carteni <gabriele(dot)carteni(at)unile(dot)it>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: currval bug??
Date: 2004-12-21 19:11:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Kris and thank you for your fast answer..

my problem is to retrieve the last autogenerated key after an insert
statement.
i always used this method (mashing queries together where the last is a
currval query).
What i should use to have the same result in pgsql8?

i apologize that java.sql.Statement.getGeneratedKeys() isn't still
implemented.

thanks!
gaboc

Kris Jurka wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Gabriele Carteni wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>i have recently upgraded my development environment:
>>FROM postgresql 7.4 TO postgresql 8.0beta5
>>FROM jdk1.4 TO jdk1.5
>>FROM pg74.215.jdbc3.jar TO pg80b1.308.jdbc3.jar
>>
>>now, i have a FRUSTRATING bug:
>>
>>With this query (which works fine with previous pg74jdbc):
>>
>>*insert into tablename (fieldname) values ('testvalue');select
>>currval('tablename_id_seq');*
>>
>>*org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: No results were returned by the query.*
>>
>>Obviously the query has to return a result.
>>

>The 7.4 driver sends the whole query string together to the backend and
>gets a result. The 8.0 driver splits the query into two and sends them
>individually. This is required to use the V3 extended query protocol.
>When it gets the result from the first part it is expecting a result and
>isn't getting one. I'm not sure if this should be an error or not, in
>general mashing queries together isn't a great idea. Perhaps you should
>be using Statement.execute() and then iterating through any/all results
>returned?
>
>Kris Jurka

Ing. Gabriele Carteni
Center for Advanced Computational Technologies / ISUFI
University of Lecce, Italy

office: +39.0832.298.122
ICQ#: 128087012

gpg --recv-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu 0x54E5C362

"Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and my answer is no!"