Re: Not wanting to throw a wrench in things

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Not wanting to throw a wrench in things
Date: 2004-12-20 22:12:27
Lists: pgsql-www

>>Also, let me be specific here. My complaint is with paid
>>banners mostly. They seem completely unneeded. If we want
>>to leave banners to those who contribute then I would not
>>raise a fuss.
>>

>I believe most of them are the freebies. I'm not adverse to losing the
>ads altogether, but I do think we should credit the mirrors in a visible
>way (ie. Not one specific page). On the mirror selection page, or a
>per-mirror footnote seem the best options.

I think either of those are good options.

>>Hey -- what if I can convince them to donate one of their
>>appliances? We would get the google engine and we could make
>>it look any way we want and index as much as we want?
>>

>If you can persuade them to do that then I would be most impressed :-)
>
>However, what problems do you have with the current search?

Nothing that I would swing a sledgehammer at. It works.
However compared to Google it just seems slow which
in reality it should be consider Google's resources.

As I said in a previous email (just before this one) this
is the absolute least of my complaints ... the advertising
is my big gripe.

If I were to point a single stick it would just be that
Google is:

1. A brand the OSS community trusts
2. Provides an incredible search engine
3. Allows us to be site specific
4. Performs faster
5. Its Google

I know it is silly but #5 is a big thing right now. Google is
the name, and having our search linked via it lends credibility
to the results.

Just my .02.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake