Re: Postgresql 8.0 RC1 not using indexes

From: Tony Caduto <tony(dot)caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 8.0 RC1 not using indexes
Date: 2004-12-19 03:37:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom,
Yes I did a vacuum analyse right away. As a further test I restored
the exact same data on another 7.4.5 server and even without a vacuum
analyse the importer program worked as expected(fast).
I posted some more info including screen shots of the importer running
in verbose mode on a 7.4.5 and a 8.0rc1 server, and much more info. I
actually think I have it narrowed down to a select count(*) in my
importer function. It seems that the select count(*) is not using the
indexes that I have defined. This same process has been in production
since June 04 and the indexes have not been changed or deleted. On
monday I am going to replace the count(*) with a for select and a
counter variable and see if the slowness goes away. It really does seem
to be some issue/bug maybe or just a difference in the 8.0 engine.

Thanks,

Tony Caduto