integer datetimes

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: integer datetimes
Date: 2004-12-16 17:44:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Has any thought been given to making integer datetimes the default on
platforms that support it? Are there any performance implications? I saw
the Tom Lane raised this when it was added, and it looks like the
decision was deferred. I know that, ceteris paribus, I would rather have
fixed microsecond precision across a slightly smaller range in every app
I've ever worked on. Which platforms don't support it? I did some search
on all these questions but didn't find much info. I'm probably going to
add the flag enabling it to the default buildfarm setup.

cheers

andrew