Re: About the requirements of security for

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Alexander Panzhin <whereabout(at)mail333(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About the requirements of security for
Date: 2004-12-16 14:49:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Alexander Panzhin wrote:

> I understand that security is very important, but does it really matter

Yes (and if it didn't saying you understand how important it is would be
simply silly).

> when 1 person wants to test his own app on his own PC(witch is not
> connected to any Network).
> I can not test any of my app with PostgreSQL because it will not
> install on my WinXP(No NTFS).
> It requests: NTFS, separate user and so on. Why?

Ok, apparently you *don't* understand how important security is. How are
we to know at install time that you will not later connect your computer
to a network?

> I have only 1 PC, I do not want to switch from FAT32(I would loose all
> my valuable data, and for compatibility with Linux) and in consequence
> I cant test out PostgreSQL.
> You would say to hell with Win use Linux ,but there is a problem of
> testing Win apps on Linux.
> It would be great if there would be a command line switch that would
> overwrite some requiremnets(atleast for Win32 MSI Installer).

You mean you want a button that says "ignore sane security requirements
for user convenience"?

If you want a platform for testing an app, I suggest you use the Cygwin
version.

cheers

andrew